Sandy Update: M, 7 service restored to northern QueensBy
The MTA has added more service in Northern Queens, Gov. Andrew Cuomo and MTA Chairman Joe Lhota announced this evening. The 7 train will resume limited service at midnight between Main St. and 74th St. while the M went back into service earlier on Thursday afternoon.
Furthermore, Lhota and Cuomo announced that service between Manhattan and Brooklyn can resume along the Joralemon St. Tunnel (4/5 trains) and the Rutgers St. Tunnel (F train) within two hours of the restoration of power to Lower Manhattan. Con Edison has been notifying customers in the Lower East Side and East Village that power should be back to those areas by 11 p.m. on Saturday night. It is my understanding that service across both the Manhattan and Williamsburg Bridges can resume within a similar timeframe once power is restored.
For what it’s worth, PATH trains remain shuttered until further notice. Cuomo estimated upwards of five miles of water in the tunnels, and the Army Corps of Engineers will have to clear the tubes before Port Authority crews can inspect and repair the system. It’s going to be a while.
The following is what subway service will look like after midnight tonight. The Brooklyn Bus Bridge will continue to run throughout the night and into Friday. Additions from the current slate are in bold. I’ll have more later.
- 1 trains will operate between 242nd St. and Times Square.
- 2 trains will operate between 241st St. and Times Square, making express stops south of 96th St.
- 3 train service is suspended.
- 4 trains will make all local stops between Woodlawn and Grand Central and between Borough Hall & New Lots Avenue.
- 5 trains will run express in Brooklyn between Atlantic Avenue and Flatbush Avenue.
- 6 trains will run local between Pelham Bay Park and Grand Central.
- 7 trains will run local between Flushing-Main St. and 74th St.
- The 42nd St. Shuttle will run between Times Square and Grand Central.
- A trains will run local between 168th Street and Penn Station and between Jay Street/MetroTech and Lefferts.
- B and C train service is suspended.
- D trains will run local between 205th Street and 34th Street and between Atlantic Avenue and Bay Parkway.
- E train service is suspended.
- F trains will run local between 179th Street and 34th Street and between Jay Street-MetroTech and Avenue X.
- G train service is suspended.
- J trains will run local between Jamaica Center and Hewes Street.
- L trains will run local between Broadway Junction and Rockaway Parkway.
- M trains will run local between Myrtle Avenue-Broadway and Metropolitan Avenue.
- M trains will run local between Parsons/Archer and 34th St./Herald Square via the 63rd St. Tunnel.
- N trains will run local between Ditmars Boulevard and 34th Street.
- Q train service is suspended.
- R train runs local between Jay Street-MetroTech and 95th Street.
- Both the Franklin Avenue and Rockaway Park S shuttles are suspended.