Mar

The Second Ave. Sagas Podcast, Ep. 1: Corey Johnson

By · Published in 2019

As part of my Patreon and the push to make this site reader-funded, I promised to bring back the Second Ave. Sagas podcast. Though we haven’t quite hit the funding goal yet (and we can get there with your help), the podcast is returning. Last week, in the wake of his ambitious proposal to return the subways and buses to city control, I sat down with City Council Speaker Corey Johnson to discuss his plan. He’s my guest for the first episode of the new podcast.

We talked for about 45 minutes about the ins and outs of the plan, the political reception from the governor, and how Johnson feels it could be the centerpiece to a potential mayoral campaign. I’ll have more commentary on this interview shortly, including more thoughts on Gov. Cuomo’s tepid and sarcastic response, and for people who join the Patreon, I will post a transcript as well. In the meantime, give it a listen.

As a note, I’m still waiting for the iTunes approval to come through but you can find it here on Pocket Casts or grab the feed directly. You can also download it via the link above or listen via the player embedded on the site. I’ve been investing in new audio equipment so future episodes will sound even better. A big thank you to Joe Jakubowski for sound engineering this episode. I’m excited to have the podcast return and hope you enjoy it.

Categories : Podcast

15 Responses to “The Second Ave. Sagas Podcast, Ep. 1: Corey Johnson”

1. Is the show available on Stitcher?

And, while I am in query mode, I will ask again how to subscribe to a post so that you receive notifications of new responses. (Apart from putting up a response.)

2. Christopher Stephens says:

I use Google Podcasts, and the nice “subscribe” button takes me to a webpage with the new podcast, but when I search in the app under “Signal Failure”, “Second Avenue Sagas” or “Second Ave. Sagas”, it’s not showing up.

3. smartone says:

Great podcast Corey Johnson has a vision and an answer to our subway problems. HE HAS my vote for Mayor 2021 . I will actively work for him to get elected .

4. BrooklynBus says:

These were my comments on Johnson’s proposal:

5. SEAN says:

Great interview. Time to tell Albany where to stick it. And if Cuomo wants to play that game, make him follow through with the loss of $10-billion. In the end Cuomo will be doing NYC a favor. Amazon anyone?

6. Pedro Valdez-Rivera says:

Remember, NYC could have the right to take control the subways and buses within their own limits if they use the escape clause from the 1953 master agreement of the transit authority between the city and the state, as well as getting approval from the city council, the mayor, the state legislature and the governor. ?

7. smotri says:

I may have missed something in the podcast, but where do the 10 billion dollars ‘from Albany’ come from? The first and most obvious answer is: the taxpayers of New York. I think many of these taxpayers are New York City residents. Therefore, shouldn’t the taxing authority shift from Albany to New York City for this?