Jan

Breaking a subway record

By · Published in 2009

A few hours ago, two investment analysts became the time-honored attempt to break the world record for fastest time through the subway. Using a software simulation, Chris Solarz and Matt Ferrisi are attempting to reach all 468 stations in under 24 hours, 54 minutes and 3 seconds. “I think our record will probably hold up, but I don’t want to say that it’s not possible,” Bill Amarosa, the current record holder, said to The Daily News. As long as they don’t get slowed down by too many unavoidable delays, Solarz and Ferrisi might just make it.

Categories : Asides, MTA Absurdity

14 Responses to “Breaking a subway record”

1. kynes says:

I’ve always imagined the 7th ring of hell to be a never ending subway ride… Amarosa, Solarz and Ferrisi are stronger men then I

2. rhywun says:

Fun story, if you ignore the usual idiocy in the comments….

PS. I wonder if they’ll share with us the route they take.

3. Josh Karpoff says:

Investment analysts seem to have a lot more free time on their hands as of late.

I hope their models for transit route planning work out better than the models used to invest my 401k.

4. JP says:

Hope they’re not trying to hit the local stations on the F between west 4 and 34th tonight- there were a lot of delays!

5. rhywun says:

@Josh,

Ha ha – true and true.

6. Duke87 says:

Wonder why they’re starting at Far Rockaway. Stating at Rockaway Park makes more sense since you only have to change trains twice to get out of the Rockaways, as opposed to three times (unless they manage to snag one of those special rush hour As).

Also interesting is Canarsie as the endpoint. Usually Pelham Bay Park is the typical endpoint… makes sense, considering it’s the most remote station in the system in terms of how far you have to go before there’s a place to transfer to something else, making it the longest trip back and forth if you’re not beginning or ending there… especially considering that with the no express rule you have to switch trains at Parkchester in one direction unless you’re there later at night.

Incidentally, why does Guiness not allow the use of express trains? I don’t follow the logic there.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. […] Chris Solarz and Matt Ferrisi set out to break the record for fastest time through the subway, they knew they would succeed as long as the MTA’s system […]